OzarksFirst.com–May 13, 2019
Miami Herald–May 7, 2019
Local Source–WKMG News 6 & ClickOrlando–May 10, 2019
WOAI–May 5, 2019
“According to documents released last week under a new California police transparency law, former BART police officer Anthony Pirone assaulted 22-yer-old Oscar Grant, called him the N-word, and lied about what led to another officer eventually opening fire and killing the young father, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.
Pirone claimed that he was “fighting for his life,” according to documents stemming from an internal investigation completed by an outside law firm after Grant’s death in 2009. In reality, Pirone instigated the incident with “repeated and unnecessary use of force” with Grant, along with his use of racial slurs.
Grant was pronounced dead nine hours after the BART shooting, in one of the first cases of extrajudicial murder to be caught on cellphone video and circulated via social media. Grant’s family were awarded more than $2.5 million from BART.
“Pirone was, in large part, responsible for setting the events in motion that created a chaotic and tense situation on the platform,” the document states, “setting the stage, even if inadvertent, for the shooting of Oscar Grant.”
Johannes Mehserle eventually shot and killed Grant. He served the minimum two-year sentence after being found guilty of manslaughter. Mehserle said he believed he had pulled his taser when he pulled his gun, though documents also suggest he was aware he was pulling his gun.
Mehserle can be seen, as the document states, “standing over Grant,” before reaching for his gun and “firing one round into the back of Grant.”
Chief Art Acevedo said during a news conference Friday that the investigator falsely claimed in the affidavit, which was leaked to the media, that a confidential informant obtained heroin from the home. Police records indicate the heroin was actually obtained elsewhere.
Two residents of the home, 59-year-old Dennis Tuttle and 58-year-old Rhogena Nicholas, were killed.
The investigator was one of the officers shot in the gunfight Jan. 28. He remained hospitalized Friday. Officials said he has been with the department for more than 30 years.
In the hours after the deadly raid, Acevedo praised the investigator as being “tough as nails,” but he said Friday that there’s a “high probability that there will be a criminal charge” brought against him.
After the raid, police said they found several firearms at the home, along with marijuana and cocaine but no heroin. Acevedo insisted Friday that investigators did have reason to investigate the home and were not there “willy nilly.” Authorities still believe Tuttle and Nicholas were involved in criminal activity, but Acevedo said the case now is undermined.
He said lying in a sworn affidavit is “totally unacceptable.”
“From day one, when I joined this department, I told my people that if you lie, you die,” Acevedo said.
The leaked affidavit — which had been sealed under a court order — revealed that when police started looking into the investigator’s account, it started to unravel. Still hospitalized with a gunshot wound, the investigator wrote down the name of the confidential informant for another officer investigating questions around the drug raid.
When Houston police contacted the informant, he said he had worked with the investigator on narcotics cases in the past, but not the one that led to the deadly shootout. The informant also said the investigator had paid him in the past even when he didn’t do any work.
The rest of the story is here: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/houston-police-chief-says-investigator-lied-in-affidavit-leading-to-deadly-drug-raid/
“On January 14, 14-year-old Antonio Arce was shot in the back as he ran away from a Tempe, Arizona police officer down an alleyway. The boy later died at a hospital, fatally wounded by a bullet which struck in his rear shoulder-blade area. The shooter has been identified as Officer Joseph Jaen.
Police claim that Arce was carrying an airsoft gun and that he “turned toward the officer,” who then “perceived a threat and fired his weapon.” Body camera footage released by police shows Arce running away from the officer.
Jaen was responding to a 911 call about a suspected burglary in an alley in Tempe. The bodycam video shows Jaen pulling up to a pickup truck facing his squad car.
The officer then exits his car and crouches behind a trash can yelling, “Hey.” The officer, with his gun drawn, chases after the teen after he exited the passenger side of the truck and began running away down the alley.
The officer yells, “Let me see your hands” and fires two shots at the teen. Jaen then yells, “Shots fired, shots fired,” and later, “He’s got a handgun, he’s got a handgun.” The video inexplicably ends before the officer reaches Arce’s body.”
“The video shows Arce holding an object, but it is not clear whether it was the airsoft gun. Two witnesses, who have not been identified or released any statements, have since claimed that Arce was holding an item which looked like a gun.
Perhaps not surprisingly, the owner of the truck in the video, Lou Silvas, disputes the official police version of events. Silvas told the Arizona Republic he was unloading items from his truck around 2:30 p.m. that Tuesday afternoon when he went inside his house and left his truck unlocked. He heard two shots outside and went to check his truck and look for his cellphone.
Silvas said he noticed his two airsoft guns were still in his truck and was later shocked to hear Police Chief Moir tell the media on Friday that Arce had stolen one of his airsoft guns from his truck before running. Silvas said there were only two airsoft guns in his truck and they had been undisturbed.
He believes the bodycam video shows Arce with a large, black cellphone in his hand, which was missing from his truck. In a police photo, the image of the object was freeze-framed and circled, with the caption, “appears to be a weapon.”
“Silvas told the newspaper he thought about removing his airsoft guns from the car but noticed the empty police car parked in front of him. He then decided to wait for the officer, assuming he was being recorded the entire time.
He then reported being approached by a group of officers shortly after and was then placed in handcuffs in the back of a police car. Silvas asked what he had done wrong and was merely told it was just a “safety precaution.”
More than an hour later, Silvas was released but forced to wait outside his home while officers searched it. In an initial report, police mentioned a second suspect, but have since not mentioned this.
Silvas was asked by a detective the next day about the contents of his truck and mentioned the two airsoft guns. He then said the police impounded his truck and he would not be able to retrieve it until the following week.
Another resident of the home, Julie Ann Bravo, also said police searched the home without permission or a search warrant. The home’s occupants, including a 71-year-old woman, were ordered out of the house until 10 or 11 p.m., until the officers were done.
Bravo told media how she saw officers use a stun gun and handcuff Arce after the shooting. This would contradict Muir’s press conference where she stated officers “rendered aid” to Arce within minutes of the shooting until firefighters arrived to take him to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.”
Excerpted from here: https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2019/01/22/ariz-j22.html